Welcome To Our School
“Small schools that do big things”
Welcome to the Barley and Barkway Church of England First Schools Federation. Our two schools work as equal partners and are both set at the heart of their villages. Our children come from these and the surrounding villages and from nearby Royston and Buntingford.
As Church Schools we are deeply influenced by the Christian faith and its values, treating every member of our school communities with respect and offering Christian pastoral care. Our schools are places where all feel happy safe and secure and where we offer the very best educational opportunities to all whatever their gender, or ethnicity. We want to develop independent, confident children who value learning and enjoy school.
Within our Federation, we want to give all children the opportunity to engage with a rich and varied curriculum and a range of learning experiences which inspire and motivate. Our partnership with the Essex School in London enables us to celebrate diversity in our world, while our opportunities for Forest School furthers our understanding of the natural world. As small schools we are able to personalise learning experiences so that all our pupils make good progress and achieve well and grow both educationally and spiritually. We ensure that pupils have the support and high quality teaching needed to allow them to make the best possible progress that they can in all aspects of their learning.
We hope that you will come and visit our schools; you can be assured of a warm welcome.
Federation Head teacher
Reverend Canon Ruth Pyke
Rector of Barkway, Barley, Reed and Buckland
Chair of Governors
The school underwent a successful OFSTED Inspection on 13th-14th March 2014, with the school graded as 'Good'. Key strengths identified were:
- Pupils feel safe, behave well and work hard in lessons
- By the time pupils leave at the end of Year 4, their attainment in English and mathematics is above that typically expected for their age
- Children get off to a good start in the Nursery and Reception Class
- The school's warm and caring family atmosphere is greatly valued by pupils, staff and parents
- Teaching is good and every pupil's progress is closely tracked
- The school provides good quality special activities to help pupils catch up
- Pupils experience a wide range of stimulating activities
- The headteacher and governing body provide a clear direction for the development of the school
We were delighted with the outcomes of the inspection and would like to thank the children, staff, governors and parents for all their hard work to help us achieve this result.
Barkway Pre-school is a voluntary managed setting run by a committee of parents. We offer high quality care and education for children aged 2-4 years. We offer a safe and stimulating environment in a classroom setting within Barkway First School. We have our own enclosed outside play area offering free flow from classroom to garden play.
We are guided by the Early Years Foundation Stage (2012).
Please contact us for further details, visits always welcome. www.barkwaypreschool.co.uk