Welcome To Our School
Barkway First School is a one form entry Voluntary Aided Church of England First School and Nursery at the heart of the village. Most of the pupils at Barkway School reside in the village while others live in Royston and neighbouring villages.
It is a primary aim of ours that every member of the school community feels valued and respected. We are a caring community, whose values are built on mutual trust and respect and we work together in a supportive way. We aim to provide an environment where everyone feels happy, safe and secure so that they are inspired to work hard and learn to persevere to do their very best.
The Governors and Staff consider that our partnership between home, school and church is of paramount importance.
We offer wrap around care Wrap around care
The school underwent a successful OFSTED Inspection on 13th-14th March 2014, with the school graded as 'Good'. Key strengths identified were:
- Pupils feel safe, behave well and work hard in lessons
- By the time pupils leave at the end of Year 4, their attainment in English and mathematics is above that typically expected for their age
- Children get off to a good start in the Nursery and Reception Class
- The school's warm and caring family atmosphere is greatly valued by pupils, staff and parents
- Teaching is good and every pupil's progress is closely tracked
- The school provides good quality special activities to help pupils catch up
- Pupils experience a wide range of stimulating activities
- The headteacher and governing body provide a clear direction for the development of the school
We were delighted with the outcomes of the inspection and would like to thank the children, staff, governors and parents for all their hard work to help us achieve this result.
Barkway Pre-school is a voluntary managed setting run by a committee of parents. We offer high quality care and education for children aged 2-4 years. We offer a safe and stimulating environment in a classroom setting within Barkway First School. We have our own enclosed outside play area offering free flow from classroom to garden play.
We are guided by the Early Years Foundation Stage (2012).
Please contact us for further details, visits always welcome. www.barkwaypreschool.co.uk